Re: [opensuse-security] [11.1] Wireshark security update has a strange version number
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:27:23 +0100
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:26:25AM +0100, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
Hi Marcus,

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, 10:13:46 +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:10:49AM +0100, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
[...]
So, I could work-around this by creating an entry in
/etc/apt/preferences (similar to zypper's priority and locks
mechanisms), but to me this sounds wrong. Shouldn't have an update
package _always_ have a version number than its preceeding package, i.e.
the one that the update should replace?!?! FWIW, I extracted both RPMs
and compared the resulting directories, and there are indeed
differences:

Of course... It is a bug in the patch building engine which got changed
for 11.1

We fixed the other affected updates already, I just approved the fixed
wireshark.

Thanks, I just installed the update; so, this problem is solved ;-)

BTW, why have glibc and glibc-devel differing version numbers on i586
and i686? These are the packages on the DVD:

i586/glibc-2.9-2.8.i586.rpm
i586/glibc-devel-2.9-2.8.i586.rpm
i686/glibc-2.9-2.3.i686.rpm
i686/glibc-devel-2.9-2.3.i686.rpm

This would lead to an "update" for glibc using apt-get as well...
Architectural "compatible" packages should have identical version
numbers, shouldn't they?

Different problem... No idea.

Hmm, as it _is_ annoying, should I bugzilla this?

Yes. But I think its not changeable anymore since the media are frozen.

Ciao, Marcus