Re: [opensuse-security] [11.1] Wireshark security update has a strange version number
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:13:46 +0100
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:10:49AM +0100, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
Hi there,

I stumbled across this because I'm used to use apt-get for installing
and updating packages. With a default configuration (just the RPMs from
the DVD9 media linked into one RPMS.oss directory and the OS-11.1
updates repository as another installation source), it offers me to
"update" the wireshark package.

What's strange with this is, that this security update has version

1.0.4-2.1

while the original one from the installation DVD has version

1.0.4-2.5

So, I could work-around this by creating an entry in
/etc/apt/preferences (similar to zypper's priority and locks
mechanisms), but to me this sounds wrong. Shouldn't have an update
package _always_ have a version number than its preceeding package, i.e.
the one that the update should replace?!?! FWIW, I extracted both RPMs
and compared the resulting directories, and there are indeed
differences:

Of course... It is a bug in the patch building engine which got changed
for 11.1

We fixed the other affected updates already, I just approved the fixed
wireshark.

but shouldn't the build service ensure, that an updated package will get
a monotonously increasing version number? And, shouldn't this "wireshark
security update" be re-built with a proper version number?

Yes, it was.

BTW, why have glibc and glibc-devel differing version numbers on i586
and i686? These are the packages on the DVD:

i586/glibc-2.9-2.8.i586.rpm
i586/glibc-devel-2.9-2.8.i586.rpm
i686/glibc-2.9-2.3.i686.rpm
i686/glibc-devel-2.9-2.3.i686.rpm

This would lead to an "update" for glibc using apt-get as well...
Architectural "compatible" packages should have identical version
numbers, shouldn't they?

Different problem... No idea.

Ciao, Marcus