Re: [opensuse-security] mandb is possibly compromised
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:58:33 +0100 (CET)

On Saturday, 2008-10-25 at 03:22 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Well, you may have a problem, but not a security one, I think. That being
so, you may get more replies in the standard mail list.

There are a series of processes that run every day, about the same hour,
and one of them is this mandb. Some of these processes are disk-intensive
(like locatedb), and in some cases can slow your system dramatically. Not
crash the system, but slow it down: specially if the disk is big and slow,
and memory is scarce.

Yesterday I noticed when mandb was running, and I saw that its used memory was increasing slowly. At the end (several minutes), I think it was using 300 MB, which is quite a lot. I was not aware that is was so intensive. The OP surely has a point.

The script that calls it is quite carefull (/etc/cron.daily/suse-do_mandb):

renice +5 -p$$ > /dev/null || true
ionice -c 3 -p$$ > /dev/null || true

The first call makes it use less cpu, the second less disk resources. Clint, you can try to use a renice value of 15, see if that makes things easier. How much memory do you have? Make sure you have some swap, too.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.