Re: [opensuse-security] mandb is possibly compromised
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 03:22:21 +0200 (CEST)

El 2008-10-24 a las 17:49 -0700, Clint Moffatt escribió:

Please, remember to reply to the list, not in private.

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I thought the mandb was causing the
system freeze, as it was using 40% CPU and rising when it freezes. If
I did not kill it last time, then it would have probably caused it to
freeze again. Powering off is the only thing I can do to get it back
once it has completely frozen. I hope this gives more information as
to what is happening.

Well, you may have a problem, but not a security one, I think. That being so, you may get more replies in the standard mail list.

There are a series of processes that run every day, about the same hour, and one of them is this mandb. Some of these processes are disk-intensive (like locatedb), and in some cases can slow your system dramatically. Not crash the system, but slow it down: specially if the disk is big and slow, and memory is scarce.

The mandb process should not be problematic. Maybe you can help it by deleting some files, maybe /var/cache/man/, but of this I'm not sure. You can make a backup of that entire directory path, delete the files (not directories), and wait for changes.

But first look at the logs for clues.

- -- Saludos
Carlos E.R.

< Previous Next >