Re: [opensuse-security] mandb is possibly compromised
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 02:40:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2008-10-24 at 17:22 -0700, Clint Moffatt wrote:

Hi All Open Suse Users,

I have a security concern that I wanted to share with the security
team at OpenSuse. I am using OpenSuse11, KDE 4.1, and have found this
bug/anomolie while monitoring the System Monitor - Version 4
Using KDE 4.1.2 (KDE 4.1.2) "release 44.2".

A mandb buffer overflow(at least that is what I think it is) has
frozen my system in the past, so I decided to monitor it, and see what
is happening. The last time it was using up to 40% of my CPU's before
I killed it with the System Monitor. It has always happened while
downloading/uploading torrents, and I have seen a gzip application
open and close quickly in the Process Table of the System Monitor
before happening once before. I thought I should let someone at Suse
know what is happening on my system, and see if there is anything I
can do to help fix it.

The periodical process that runs mandb will also run a number of gzip processes that will end fast. As far I know, there is nothing unusual or wrong there.

What problem do you have?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.