[opensuse-security] mandb is possibly compromised
  • From: "Clint Moffatt" <clintlmoffatt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:22:48 -0700
Hi All Open Suse Users,

I have a security concern that I wanted to share with the security
team at OpenSuse. I am using OpenSuse11, KDE 4.1, and have found this
bug/anomolie while monitoring the System Monitor - Version 4
Using KDE 4.1.2 (KDE 4.1.2) "release 44.2".

A mandb buffer overflow(at least that is what I think it is) has
frozen my system in the past, so I decided to monitor it, and see what
is happening. The last time it was using up to 40% of my CPU's before
I killed it with the System Monitor. It has always happened while
downloading/uploading torrents, and I have seen a gzip application
open and close quickly in the Process Table of the System Monitor
before happening once before. I thought I should let someone at Suse
know what is happening on my system, and see if there is anything I
can do to help fix it.

I am not a developer, just a Linux user, and I can follow command line
instructions if you need more information.

Thanks for your help,
Clint