Re: [opensuse-security] udev rules; use of uucp group for devices
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:58:10 +0200
Günter Dannoritzer wrote:
Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Up to 11.0 you can tell resmgr to grant certain users access to
specific devices instead, see
http://forgeftp.novell.com/resmgr/web/#id2830544

I just read that someone with debian got access rigth to ttyUSB* by
being member of the dialout group.

Now my user also is member of the dialout group and I wonder whether it
would not make sense then to add the 'modem' class in the resource
manager to that user as well?

What is the reason for this split of not having the user be part of the
'modem' class in the resource manager, but part of the dialout group?

Being member of the dialout group merely gives you permissions to
trigger or stop dialin connections (via smpppd or isdnctrl) without
any way to influence 'dangerous' parameters such as phone number. As
member of the modem class in resmgr you will be able to issue arbitrary AT
commands to serial modems or mobile phones though.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel