Re: [opensuse-security] udev rules; use of uucp group for devices
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 09:05:38 +0200

On Friday 2008-09-26 at 14:45 +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

Günter Dannoritzer wrote:
Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Up to 11.0 you can tell resmgr to grant certain users access to
specific devices instead, see
http://forgeftp.novell.com/resmgr/web/#id2830544

You can also match for usb vendor/product id. See the same web page
a few paragraphs up.

BTW, you said that up to 11.0 the resmgr is taking care of resources.
What takes care of them with 11.1?

ConsoleKit/PolicyKit/hal

This is way to complicated; it is not practical :-(

Yesterday, a user on the Spanish list was also asking how to access a
device on ttyUSB0. I pointed him to these instructions. He says this is
too complicated for him, so instead he will just run the program as root,
via sudo.

As running as root may be even more dangerous and inconvenient (downloaded
files will belong to root), I told him to add himself to group uucp:

groupmod --add-user USUARIO uucp

Huh? Why is that less complicated than
# echo allow modem user=usario > /etc/resmgr.conf.d/50-modem.conf

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel