Re: [opensuse-security] udev rules; use of uucp group for devices
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 00:10:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday 2008-09-26 at 14:45 +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

Günter Dannoritzer wrote:
Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Up to 11.0 you can tell resmgr to grant certain users access to
specific devices instead, see
http://forgeftp.novell.com/resmgr/web/#id2830544

You can also match for usb vendor/product id. See the same web page
a few paragraphs up.

BTW, you said that up to 11.0 the resmgr is taking care of resources.
What takes care of them with 11.1?

ConsoleKit/PolicyKit/hal

This is way to complicated; it is not practical :-(

Yesterday, a user on the Spanish list was also asking how to access a device on ttyUSB0. I pointed him to these instructions. He says this is too complicated for him, so instead he will just run the program as root, via sudo.

As running as root may be even more dangerous and inconvenient (downloaded files will belong to root), I told him to add himself to group uucp:

groupmod --add-user USUARIO uucp

Unfortunately I think I will keep using that method myself till somebody invents a really easy method. You could perhaps modify your side and use another sensible group instead of 'uucp' for devices.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
< Previous Next >
List Navigation