Re: [opensuse-security] Re: strong password with libcrypt
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 11:48:24 +0200
On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:46:11AM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Friday 2008-05-16 at 06:15 -0300, Alvin wrote:

In the suse-oss repo there is a package called seccheck. Here's the

"Regularly executable scripts (via cron) for checking the security of
your system."

Amongst other checks (file perms, open sockets, etc.) it uses a program
called
john (for John the Ripper I think) that attempts to decrypt all the user
account passwords.

An email is sent to the root account with the results of the checks.

I doesn't validate the user's new password like you want, but perhaps this
could we usefull for you?

It need you install also "john" and its database (john-wordlists...rpm).
It runs as a cron job every every week and it is terribly slow. Slow as in
/days/. It is worse than old beagle and old zypper, together, at their
worst.

Without john installed the secchk task will complain every week that john
is not installed, but that's fine.

I think the original poster just wants some PAM checks we already
have.

man pam_pwcheck

Ciao, Marcus