Re: [suse-security] antivir updates not working anymore under 10.0? SOLVED!!
  • From: Arjen de Korte <suse+security@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 16:50:02 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> This is a well known problem with people not understanding what the
>> noexec flag really does. It really adds no additional security at all
>> (since the ways to circumvent this are well known for years already) and
>> potentially crash other applications as well.
> Could you expand on that, or give a link, please? I'm interested in
> knowing how 'noexec' can be circunvented.

Being well known for years already, a Google search on for instance
'circumvent noexec' will give you plenty of pointers where to look. The
basic idea behind the noexec flag may be nice, but there are so many
loopholes around it, that the amount of applications that it breaks are
really not worth all the trouble.

Regards, Arjen