Re: [suse-security] ezmlm warning
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 02:46:42 +0200 (CEST)

The Sunday 2006-04-02 at 20:45 +0100, suse@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Are other people on the list getting these warnings from
> ezmlm, or is it just me?

Just you.

> Or is someone spamming the list?

Yes... but that's not the issue, in this case. You compounded the problem,
sort of speaking :-p

I'll explain, I think I can trail these things.

1) First, the list received a spam message - and we commented on it back
then (search the list archive):

|> Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:48:14 +0300
|> From: "PayPal Inc." <service at paypal.com>
|> To: suse-securitya at suse.com
|> Subject: [suse-security] SPAM: Notification of Limited Account Access

This is a known problem with ezmlm, the list server, it can subscribe
unwanted addresses.

2) The next step was that the list server dutifully sent that message to
you, because spam is not filtered out.

3) Then, you, or your server, rejected the email because you considered it
spam - that is a thing that never should happen. You should store spam on
another folder, but never bounce it back: the "from" address is usually
faked, or may belong to somebody else that knows nothing about it. Worse,
it can be the spammer, that then knows that your address is valid.

|> <karsites at kar.eclipse.co.uk>: host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 550 5.7.1 Message
|> content rejected, UBE, id=32402-01-62 (in reply to end of DATA command)

Therefore, the email got bounced back to SuSE, to the list server. This
decides then, as should be, that you are unreachable and should be
unsubscribed; but first it sends you a probe to check if it was a
temporary problem:

|> From: suse-security-help@xxxxxxxx
|> Subject: ezmlm warning

|> Messages to you from the suse-security mailing list seem to
|> have been bouncing. I've attached a copy of the first bounce
|> message I received.
|>
|> If this message bounces too, I will send you a probe. If the probe bounces,
|> I will remove your address from the suse-security mailing list,
|> without further notice.

In conclusion: it is your fault :-P

- --
Cheers,