Re: [suse-security] ezmlm warning
  • From: suse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:06:51 +0100 (BST)
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> To: SuSE Security List <suse-security@xxxxxxxx>
> From: Carlos E. R. <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [suse-security] ezmlm warning

> The Sunday 2006-04-02 at 20:45 +0100, suse@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Are other people on the list getting these warnings from
> > ezmlm, or is it just me?
>
> Just you.
>
> > Or is someone spamming the list?
>
> Yes... but that's not the issue, in this case. You
> compounded the problem, sort of speaking :-p
>
> I'll explain, I think I can trail these things.
>
> 1) First, the list received a spam message - and we commented on it back
> then (search the list archive):
>
> |> Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:48:14 +0300
> |> From: "PayPal Inc." <service at paypal.com>
> |> To: suse-securitya at suse.com
> |> Subject: [suse-security] SPAM: Notification of Limited Account Access
>
> This is a known problem with ezmlm, the list server, it can subscribe
> unwanted addresses.
>

> 2) The next step was that the list server dutifully sent that message to
> you, because spam is not filtered out.
>
> 3) Then, you, or your server, rejected the email because
> you considered it spam - that is a thing that never
> should happen. You should store spam on another folder,
> but never bounce it back: the "from" address is usually
> faked, or may belong to somebody else that knows
> nothing about it. Worse, it can be the spammer, that
> then knows that your address is valid.

Thankyou for the explanation Carlos.

I do not actually run a mail server on my machine, just in
case my machine is off-line, which would mean I could miss
some incoming mail. I collect my email from my ISP with
fetchmail -v running as a cron job every hour.

I use a utility called SpamShield provided by my ISP. (May
be based on SpamAsassin.) They tell me that mail detected as
SPAM that reaches the delete threshold just gets deleted
from my email folder on their machine. It does not get
returned to the sender.

Do you think it was my ISP that bounced the email back to
the list?

Why we're on the subject of SPAM, is there a central
database with an email address that I can forward any SPAM
messages to, that are not being detected by SpamShield? So
they can be identified as SPAM, and added to a central
blocking list?

Regards

Keith

  • No further messages