Re: [suse-security] sendmail update for suse 9.0 ?
  • From: "miguel gmail" <miguel.listas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 10:53:38 +0200
On 4/4/06, Jure Koren <jure@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Crispin Cowan wrote:
> >> Oh! That would be more than wellcome for newcommers to mail servers
> >> administrators... :-)
> > IMHO, newcommers to mail server administration should not be messing
> > with compiling the mail server, they have enough variables to worry
> > about :) So these newcomers should just use Postfix.
> > Advanced mail server administrators, on the other hand, are free to go
> > download the source for Qmail and deploy it themselves. The Qmail
> > license effectively prevents SUSE from adding significant value, so
> > there is no point in bundling it.
>
> I absolutely agree with this position, but also have much less respect
> for DJBs position on his source code. Postfix is an example of great
> free software and performs very well in a full range of usage scenarios.
> Consequentially, it is also very secure and also no. 1 choice for a
> large majority of e-mail servers, for soho solutions and large clusters
> alike. Being actively developed, it also implements features Qmail is
> very likely never going to have, as DJB is only one man. I don't see how
> suse (the distribution) would benefit from bundling this software. I may
> like it, but I can't use it because of all the issues set forth in this
> thread.

I do agree with (all of) you. Nothing easier than using the bundled
Postfix. It is quite easy to use, and there is as much information as
I may ever need. And I did use it some time ago.

But I am also looking to improve my knowledge, the possibilities I
offer to my customers, say with qmail, exim or whatever. And including
some detailed and specific instructions for installing qmail on
SuSE... would be a definitive advantage for qmail and lazy
administrators like me.

Maybe, the word ´newcommers´ was not very accurarate in my case :-?

--
Saludos,
miguel

< Previous Next >