Re: [suse-security] Nagios versus Snort
  • From: Gideon Hallett <diogenes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:40:46 +0000
On Thursday 08 December 2005 10:26, Bruno Cochofel wrote:
> Can someone tell me the difference between Nagios and Snort?

They monitor entirely different things.

Nagios monitors the availability of services on a network, whereas
Snort monitors potential threats to network security.

> Which one does the best job in monitoring Networks?

Both and neither. I run both of them on our network, as they perform
different functions.

Both of them require some tuning and housekeeping, but perform their
respective functions pretty well.

best wishes.

Gideon.