Re: [suse-security] Openssh + security
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 14:56:50 -0800
On Sunday 11 December 2005 2:41 pm, Bruno Cochofel wrote:
> I need to install an ssh server and I need some information about security
> options. I know that has been some kind off "attacks" on port 22 on the
> internet so I want to know a little more about those options under
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

The options are pretty well documented in man 5 sshd_config

Most people seem to strongly recommend setting

Protocol 2

instead of

Protocol 1,2

and

PermitRootLogin no

instead of

PermitRootLogin yes

You will also see many people recommending you change
the default port from 22 to some high port number, but I'm
not so sure that makes much of a difference.

Scott

--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
Linux 2.6.11.4-21.9-default x86_64