PPPoE. Is this illegal what has happened to my pc? (really security stuff)
  • From: Raicu Andi <raicuandi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:17:31 +0200
Hello all.
I live in Romania, in the city of Pitesti. There, the (probably)
best ISP is RDS. Now, RDS gives us internet trough PPPoE, which
requires an user and a password. Since it's the hollidays now, I
forgot to pay my bill and they cut my account off. I'm SURE I haven't
payed it. After a fresh format (installing SUSE10), when I was
installing, I set-up my pppoe connection (dsl-like). After the
installation is done... suprize: I could browse the web. BUT kinternet
reports me that I'm NOT connected, and I don't have other ways of
connecting, and I don't know other accounts.
When I downloaded the ISOs, sometimes windows reseted the pc (stupid
win!) and some rpm were corrupted (kernel source, kpim etc.) and were
not installed due to the md5 checks.
I usually have 128kbps and download with 15-16KB/s, but now I have
like 4-5KB/s.
I can't understand what is going on! Please excuse me if this is not
a security-related issue (even I can't explain how I got connected to
the net...) , but I gotto find out what has happened.

Thank you all in advance!