Re: [suse-security] Re: Openssh + security
  • From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:15:30 -0800
Bruno Cochofel wrote:
> Well, I'm running X. I'm a home user and the "server" it's also my PC so I
> have to use it.
> I'm also running xscreensaver and aMule (this one all the time).
> Maybe this is bad!!!

Er, yeah, this is bad.

A firewall machine for a home really does not need much power. You can
go buy a crappy old computer and make it be your firewall, and keep the
good one for your workstation.

I actually do run X on my gateway, but only because I like the GUI tools
like YaST. To make it safe(er), I have carefully ensured that all of X
is not talking to the network. AppArmor makes this a bit easier :)

Crispin
--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D. http://crispincowan.com/~crispin/
Director of Software Engineering, Novell http://novell.com