Re: [suse-security] Re: Openssh + security
  • From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:23:17 -0800
Jure Koren wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 December 2005 12:09, Bruno Cochofel wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions on using other p2p client?
>>
> It could have been a security related question, but in the current context it
> is most certainly not.
>
> If you have content that you can legally distribute, I think apache web server
> would be the best choice. It also has third party tools that enable you to
> put limits on bandwidth and other usage, so your internet connection does not
> become saturated.

That is not always true. The BitTorrent capability to distribute
workload is very useful for very heavy, bursty loads. For instance, when
a new Linux kernel appears, everyone rushes all at once to get it, and
the web servers sag. But the BT shares just chug away, because the
people who have fetched even a partial copy start taking up some of the
load to pass it on to others. The distributed P2P protocol helps to
absorb the burst.

But in general you are correct, sharing with Apache is more manageable
than sharing with a P2P client.

Crispin
--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D. http://crispincowan.com/~crispin/