Re: [suse-security] Spam and spamprevention from mailinglists
  • From: Christian Boltz <suse-security@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 22:31:16 +0200
Hello,

Am Sonntag, 2. Oktober 2005 18:08 schrieb Philippe Vogel:
> I always get mails a few minutes after I post to the list - By chance
> or intention I don't know?

I guess these are auto-reply messages like "I'm on vacation till ...".
The only thing you can do with them is forward them to the list-owner
(with full headers!) and ask for unsubscribing the sender. (If the
auto-reply sender adress is autoreply@... or noreply@..., it can become
difficult ;-)

> Are there possibilities to back-track messages delivered to clients
> in such cases or do I have to live with the consequences as I
> subscribe to a list?

Look at the headers. In some cases you can, in some cases it's really
difficult.
If you don't know how to read the headers, just ask.

> Is there a possibility to authorize the access to http-web-archive of
> this mailinglist like Redmond (TM) on MSN with this "can you read the
> letters in the image" so no spiders can gather information on the
> list?

This is something that can only be done by SUSE.

But IMHO, it's not (mostly) the web archive causing spam. My theory is
that some spammers are subscribed here and get the mail adresses
directly.
To explain my theory: My spam mostly arrives at the adress I use for
suse-security. The adress used for suse-linux, suse-laptop and
suse-programming has much less spam. If spammers would search the web
archive for adresses, there shouldn't be such a difference.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
>>Wozu braucht root einen Browser?
> Fürs Internet?
*wuuhahaha* Der Tag faengt echt gut an... Gleich so ein Highlight am
Morgen, herrlich... [> Marcel Stein und Thomas Hertweck in suse-linux]