Re: [suse-security] Large file transfers fail through SuSE firewall
  • From: Ariel Sabiguero Yawelak <asabigue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:05:11 -0200
I would triple check the network drivers on the windows machines, specially if they are "new" mainboards running old windows versions (9x/Me). I experienced similar problems (not through a linux router but in a lan) and the problem just desapaired after network drivers reinstallation (PC-CHIPS M810D motherboards running Win98 [just blame the one who purchases technology based on price only!]).

I don't believe that it would be a matter of firewall rules as you can copy small files, see machines, etc.... if firewall/routing rules were not adequate, you would not be able to see machines or to move small files, which is not the case, is it?

You might also check for dropped packets on each net (see statistics at the switches), but I would bet that is a network problem in either/both of the windows. To discard the linux router, just copy/move files from/to another couple of machines ;-)

Ariel

PS: maybe it is not 100% security related topic and you might want to continue off-list ;-)

MePHiTiC wrote:

I'm using SuSE 9.3 as a router between 2 networks (eth0 =
192.168.65.0/24 & eth1 172.16.72.0/24). I'm having a problem when
transferring large files or a large amount of multiple files. I get an
error message stating the network share is unavailable.

If I transfer from 192.168.65.228 to 172.16.72.3 using Windows
Explorer I get the network share is unavailable after a few moments.
I've tailed (tail -f /var/log/firewall | grep 192.168.65.228) the
firewall log and watched a tcpdump on eth0 and eth1. There aren't any
error messages displayed or anything. The packets just stop.

I have allowed access from eth0 to eth1 but not from eth1 to eth0.
Could this be the problem? I need to open a port possibly for Windows
network shares?

Thanks for any help!
Jason