About spam fighting policies
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 01:35:41 +0200 (CEST)

I'll ask here, because I consider spam fighting to be part of the
security policies.

A colister of one the SuSE lists finds now and then that he can not post
to the list because his emails are considered spam. In this case, the
rules his provider infringes are:

> DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE, DNS_FROM_RFC_POST, MY_LINUX, RCVD_IN_SBL,
> RCVD_IN_SORBS_SOCKS

ie:

BAYES_50 0 0 1.567 0.001
DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE Envelope sender in abuse.rfc-ignorant.org 0 0.374 0 0
DNS_FROM_RFC_POST Envelope sender in postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org 0 1.376 0 1.614
RCVD_IN_SBL Received via a relay in Spamhaus SBL 0 1.050 0 0.107
RCVD_IN_SORBS_SOCKS SORBS: sender is open SOCKS proxy server 0 0 0 0.338

Note that the scores do not add to 6.2, so SuSE must have modified them.

The first two rules I checked in http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/, and they
mean that "postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx" and "abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx" addresses do
not accept email. I agree that is a bad thing, but...

Spamhaus I don't know where to check, yet.

And sorbs I can not check, because sorbs do not likes me and refuses to
help:

An Error Occured: Throttled
Reason: Throttled
Explanation: To stop abuse this page is limited to 10 lookups per hour.
Note: If you are forced to use a proxy server you may be able to arrange a
higher throttle limit by contacting one of the SORBS administrators.

I can not request a higher limit because I'm on a dynamic address, and
yes, providers here (Spain) usually set up proxies to reduce their
traffic, so web servers can easily see thousands of queries coming from
the same IP. I simply want to see why "arnet.com.ar" is listed! I don't
see why I should be Sorb's client to see that... :-/

But the question is: must SuSE lists and/or SpamAssassin be so stringent
requiring that our providers be impeachless?

Notice that many users have no choice but to use the few providers
available in each country. Maybe Novell has a choice, but many of us
don't, nor can we convince big providers to comply with internet rules.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

  • No further messages