Re: [suse-security] Strange server crash
  • From: Rikard Johnels <rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:18:00 +0200
On Wednesday 12 October 2005 17.57, Andy wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> We have a Fujitsu Siemens server, Dual Xeon 2.8, 160GB sata HDD configured
> in software raid. On the server there is Apache, Php, vsftp and postgresql
> db running. Suse 9.1 64 Prof is installed.
>
> About once a month the server just freezes. Sometimes I can ping and it
> respondes, sometimes not. I cannot connect to the server anymore froma any
> point of view. None of the services are running anymore, http, ftp, samba
> etc... I cannot know if the console works because I'm not near the server.
> I looked over and over the log files and couldn't see anything wrong. Or
> maybe my log settings are not right?
>
> Any clues?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Andy

Does it thaw by it self or do you have to do a hard reboot?
Have you checked if there are any cron jobs on monthly basis?
What is the last things that happen before freeze? Anything at all in the logs
that could indicate any type of action / program suddenly dropping?

--
/Rikard

email : rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx
web : http://www.rikjoh.com
mob : +46 (0)736 19 76 25
< 15 28 DF 78 67 98 B2 16 1F D3 FD C5 59 D4 B6 78 46 1C EE 56 >