RE: [suse-security] Strange server crash
  • From: "b@rry" <b@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:11:32 +0200
> I looked over the log files in the last 3 crashes ( 12 oct, 9 sept, 1
sept)
> and I couldn't asociate it with any cron or script or process.... only if
> one of my script hangs... that is again strange, because I do only copy,
database dumps...

> I also do rsync with another share from network.

I have tried tar, rsyn, and rdiff backup all of which have had similar
memory leak problems causing kernel panics.
Tar caused the problem when writing many files to a single large archive.
Rsync and rdiff-backup caused problems with the high volume of files.

I have now resorted to "batching" my backups with date stamps inserted into
log files so that I can trace any further errors to a direct script and
time.
When backing up using rsynch, try inserting date stamps one dir at a time,
that way at least you will know if a perticular dir/process is causing the
problem.

Bit of a pain in the ass, but less of a pain than a panic.

The dir structure I backup is basically:
/top/of/dirstructure/0/0/0/0/0
/top/of.dir/structure/9/9/9/9/9

With each dir containing
0/0/0/0/0
0/0/0/0/1
0/0/0/0/2
0/0/0/0/...9
0/0/0/1/0
0/0/0/1/1
0/0/0/1/2
Etc

So large number of dirs.

I have scripted

#!/bin/bash

rm -rf /var/log/backup.log
echo "Start Dir Struc 0" `date` /var/log/backup.log
Rdiff/rsync /top/of/dirstructure/0/
echo "End Dir Struc 0" `date` /var/log/backup.log
sleep 2
echo "Start Dir Struc 1" `date` /var/log/backup.log
Rdiff/rsync /top/of/dirstructure/1/
echo "End Dir Struc 1" `date` /var/log/backup.log
sleep 2

Etc...

This way, I was able to ensure that if anything went wrong I would always
know very closely where and could check my dir contents for file allocations
that were haywire.

Also, breaking it up into many processes while it makes the backup process
take much longer, I have not had a single issue since doing this...