Re: [suse-security] Strange server crash
  • From: trainier@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:34:06 -0400
What do you mean 'overheating is excluded' ?

The fact is, the "freezing" you're referring to, generally has three very
common causes.

1.) CPU is Overheating.
2.) The Power Supply unit is failing.
3.) The voltage regulator on the motherboard is failing.
4.) The system has run out of memory AND swap.

Instead of saying "that's not possible", at least ensure that neither of
these are causing issues.
The memory and swap thing is a little hard to determine because the system
is crashed and you can't
see how much memory and swap is in use. So, write a shell script and cron
it to run every 5 or 10 minutes.
The script can output memory/swap usage to a timestamp in a log file that
you can go look at, once you
bring the system back up from a crash.

The next peice is kernel panics. Type: cat /proc/sys/kernel/panic
What's the output?

Tim Rainier
Information Services, Kalsec, INC
trainier@xxxxxxxxxx

"Andy" <frum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on 10/13/2005 04:26:32 AM:

> I will respond to all:
>
> To restart the server we had to do a hard reboot.
>
> We have 1G Ram, 1G Swap space.
> There is plenty(more GBs) of space on the hard disks. On all
> partitions(except /boot).
>
> The hang-up occurs randomly... sometimes at 3 weeks, sometimes at 2
months,
> sometimes at 1 month.
>
> free -s -m5:
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 1027964 958260 69704 0 45416 729952
> -/+ buffers/cache: 182892 845072
> Swap: 1052248 90976 961272
> ACPI from what I see is enabled. I will disable it.
> /etc/lilo.conf
> image = /boot/vmlinuz
> ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
linux###
> label = Linux
> initrd = /boot/initrd
> root = /dev/md0
> append = "resume=/dev/sda2 splash=silent console=tty0 desktop"
> vga = 0x317
>
> To disable acpi I change this line:
> append = "resume=/dev/sda2 splash=silent acpi=off console=tty0
desktop"
> right?
>
> Overheating is excluded.
>

> I attached the boot.msg. I'm not very experienced in interpreting those
> messages.
>

> regards,
> Andy.

Or