Re: [suse-security] Apache2 update
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:02:38 +0200
On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 08:01:27AM +0100, suse@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi there. I have just done an update with YOU.
>
> I'm still having a problem with the apache2
> update overwriting my /etc/sysconfig/apache2
> configuration file.
>
> Can the guys at SuSE please sort this.

It does not overwrite anything. It just may seem so, because the
timestamp is changed. The file is actually touched but it should not be
changed. The mechanism is the same which is used during a system upgrade
-- the sysconfig file is compared with a template in
/var/adm/fillup-templates/ and variables are added if necessarey. The
thing is that during a YOU-Update there is probably never a case where a
new variable is introduced, so no actual change will occur.
It *may* happen that the meta headers in comments are updated, or the
number of empty lines changes during the rewrite... but no functional
change.

This should probably go into some FAQ.

If anyone observes an unexpected change of the value of a variable, it
would be a bug in a package named "fillup".

> I would like to set up an automatic update with YOU, that
> will leave my sysconfig files alone.

It would be a bug if it would change anything.

> Does anyone else on the list have this problem when updating
> apache2?
>
> Kind Regards - Keith

Regards,
Peter

--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH Thought is limitation.
Research & Development Free your mind.