Re: [suse-security] Apache update problem
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:06:24 +0200
On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 10:52:01PM +0100, suse@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The command line was:
> /usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf failed
> Failed services in runlevel 3: apache2
>
> To correct the problem, I have to overwrite the apache2 config file the
> update has kindly installed for me, with a backup copy, and then start
> Apache manually.
>
> This is odd behaviour. Should a security update be allowed to overwite
> config files that have been manually altered by the sys admin?
>
> Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?
>
> This is what I have defined for Apache2 logs:
>
> APACHE_ACCESS_LOG="/var/log/apache2/access_log common,
> /var/log/apache2/browser_log agent,
> /var/log/apache2/referer_log referer,
> /var/log/apache2/combined_access_log combined,
> /var/log/apache2/ROBOT_LOG agent"

That is invalid syntax for a file which is sourced by a shell script
(which is what happens).

Put everything in one line, or use backslashes to escape the newlines
characters.

(Assuming that the pasted snippet is verbatim)

Regards,
Peter

--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH Thought is limitation.
Research & Development Free your mind.