Re: [suse-security] Problem with second user with uid 0?
  • From: Frank Steiner <fsteiner-mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:02:29 +0100
Hi Enno,

E. Oosterhuis wrote

Hi,

If your system boots with an initrd (check this in /boot/grub/menu.lst) a "new" root account does not work. Your college will need the password stored in the initrd. ( If fsck checkes / )

I'm not sure about this. We do have initrds on some systems, for loading
the scsi and fs modules needed to access the root fs. However, the checking
of the root fs is done in /etc/init.d/boot.* scripts, when the root fs is
already mounted ro, so the usual /etc/passwd should be used already.
I' not aware of a setup where the fsck is done from within the initrd,
but maybe that happens on systems other than SuSE? They only check via
the boot scripts after loading kernel/initrd...

cu,
Frank

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner Web: http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/