Re: [suse-security] Linux and forkbomb - with link
  • From: "Jim Flanagan" <linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:00:12 -0600 (CST)

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 12:47:51PM -0600, Jim Flanagan wrote:
>> Sorry, my earlier post did not include the link to the story at
>> securityfocus.com
>>
>> Are any of the currently supported Suse versions suseptable to this
>> forkbomb attack? I'm not very sure what it is, but I'm sure many of you
>> are. I'm running suse 8.2 pro and 9.1 pro.
>
> Yes it is.
>
> Because we have unlimited ulimits by default.
>
> To fix that:
> Install the "ulimit" package.
> Adapt /etc/sysconfig/ulimit to your needs.

What I don't understand is that the article mentions that the BSD kernels
have been modified for some time (years) for this old attack, but linux
has not. I thought linux was more cutting edge and up to date than that.
>From what I can tell this vulnerability is open to local users, not
necessarily remote users, but, the potential damage is high (instantaneous
system failure) and is a known old attack.
--
Jim Flanagan
linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx