mkinitrd (was: Re: [suse-security] Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: several kernel security problems (SUSE-SA:2005:018))
  • From: David Huecking <d.huecking@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:57:09 +0200
Just mkinitrd as root and a lilo if lilo ist used as bootloader...
moria:~ # which mkinitrd
/sbin/mkinitramfs
moria:~ # mkinitrd -h
Create initial ramdisk images that contain all kernel modules
needed in the early boot process, before the root file system
becomes available. This usually includes SCSI and/or RAID
modules, a file system module for the root file system, or
a network interface driver module for dhcp.

mkinitrd [options]

-h This Text.
-k "kernel list" List of kernel images for which initrd files
are created. Defaults to all kernels found
in /boot.
-i "initrd list" List of file names for the initrd; position
have match to "kernel list". Defaults to all
all kernels found in /boot.
-m "module list" Modules to include in initrd. Defaults to the
INITRD_MODULES variable in /etc/sysconfig/kernel.
-b boot_dir Boot directory. Defaults to /boot.
-d root_device Root device. Defaults to the device from which
/ is mounted. Overrides the rootdev enviroment
variable if set.
-s size Add splash animation and bootscreen to initrd.
-t tmp_dir Temporary directory. Defaults to /var/tmp.
-D interface Run dhcp on the specified interface.
-a acpi_dsdt Attach compiled ACPI DSDT (Differentiated System
Description Table) to initrd. This replaces the
DSDT of the BIOS. Defaults to the ACPI_DSDT
variable in /etc/sysconfig/kernel.
-r Use initramfs instead of initrd.
-g Use glibc instead of klibc binaries.
-S Load policy file for SELinux if exist.

But maybe someone could explain if one should use mkinitrd or mkinitramfs on
newer systems...
From /sbin/mkinitramfs on a SuSE Linux 9.2 i386:
--- 8< ---
# mkinitramfs - create an initramfs cpio archive,
# useable with kernel 2.6.4 and newer
--- 8< ---
moria:~ # mkinitramfs -h
Create compressed initramfs images that contain all kernel modules
needed in the early boot process, before the root file system
becomes available. This usually includes SCSI and/or RAID
modules, a file system module for the root file system, or
a network interface driver module for dhcp.

mkinitramfs [options]

-h This Text.
-k "kernel list" List of kernel images for which initrd files
are created. Defaults to all kernels found
in /boot.
-i "initrd list" List of file names for the initrd; position
have match to "kernel list". Defaults to all
all kernels found in /boot.
-m "module list" Modules to include in initrd. Defaults to the
INITRD_MODULES variable in /etc/sysconfig/kernel.
-b boot_dir Boot directory. Defaults to /boot.
-s size Add splash animation and bootscreen to initrd.
-t tmp_dir Temporary directory. Defaults to /var/tmp.
-a acpi_dsdt Attach compiled ACPI DSDT (Differentiated System
Description Table) to initrd. This replaces the
DSDT of the BIOS. Defaults to the ACPI_DSDT
variable in /etc/sysconfig/kernel.
(currently broken)
-S Load policy file for SELinux if exist.
-V Vendor specific script to run in initramfs

--
Eat, sleep and go running,
David Huecking.

Encrypted eMail welcome!
GnuPG/ PGP-Key: 0x57809216. Fingerprint:
3DF2 CBE0 DFAA 4164 02C2 4E2A E005 8DF7 5780 9216

< Previous Next >