Re: [suse-security] installing newer software than that in the CDs
  • From: Philippe Vogel <filiaap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:49:46 +0200

Hi!

As I see you are newbee, so here some useful commends to your problem.

> There is not such a line in the php.ini
>
> .... extension=recode.so ....
>

> just
>
> extension=mysql.so
>

> I found nothing in the dir /usr/lib/php/extensions/ except mysql.so
>

> What is the problem finaly ? Does them rpm command do those
> resolutions that the yast script does? Does rpm keep inform all
> these files that are related as the Yast does?

RPM does the same as YAST, Yast is yust a graphical frontend for the
used tools. There is a console version called fou4s available and it
does the same as Yast:

search for updates, dependencies in rpm's and install rpm's.

After Installation in rpm-formatted files there are pre- and
post-actions that are executed on the installation. After any
installation the rpm-db is updated and dependencies needed for propper
working of the package are probed. If needed dependencies are not met
it refuses to install. Yast is the safer way to install software, as
it probes all dependencies automatically and chooses the needed add-on
packages automatically.

Better install over Yast if you are newbee.

If you did some installations and don't know what to do and are not
familliar with rpm and manually editing files do a SuSEconfig after
installation.

SuSEconfig does a configuration of all packages installed with values
in /etc/sysconfig. If this is to much editing of files do this over
yast/somewhere in sysconfig.

For more infos read unofficial SuSEFAQ:

http://susefaq.sourceforge.net/

Syntax for rpm to install:

Install:
rpm -ivh file.rpm

Update:
rpm -Uvh file.rpm

Reguards

Philippe

- --
Diese Nachricht ist digital signiert und enthält weder Siegel noch
Unterschrift!

Die unaufgeforderte Zusendung einer Werbemail an Privatleute verstößt
gegen §1 UWG und 823 I BGB (Beschluß des LG Berlin vom 2.8.1998 Az:
16 O 201/98). Jede kommerzielle Nutzung der übermittelten
persönlichen Daten sowie deren Weitergabe an Dritte ist ausdrücklich
untersagt!