Re: [suse-security] need a way to set more secure 8character passwords
  • From: Stan Glasoe <SRGlasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:19:58 -0600
On Saturday 06 November 2004 1:14 am, Bill.Light@xxxxxx wrote:

> Seems to be I have read an recent (this year) article about that
> subject. And, if memory serves correctly, it basically said something
> on the order of NOT using words stuck together with special
> characters, and obviously not just words (on newer computers,
> dictionary attacks are too quick for you to react) and just numbers
> are even quicker to crack. The suggestion was letters (plus other
> characters) that mean something to you, which are not acronyms, but
> closer to mnemonics. Example mlg.is!2 could mean something like
> "my little girl is 2" or Ilc.bSd could mean "I like chocolate.
> but SHE doesn't" mix numbers, special characters, and don't use
> words (except for you to remember it).
>
> fwiw2u (for what it's worth "2" you)
>
> Good Luck

Another idea is to use a phrase that is something you would never say
out loud to anyone. Usually this is an obscene phrase but could be
anything that you are not generally thought to be aware of or have any
knowledge of by friends, family or associates. Something such that it
would be an illogical assumption that you would say it in public or
private. Your own little inside joke.

Bill's ideas are good. For the truly paranoid, take it a step further so
that the phrase has nothing to do with your everyday life at all.

Stan