Re: [suse-security] need a way to set more secure 8character passwords
  • From: suse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 15:37:18 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> > If anyone has a suggestion for making an 8 character password that is
> > reasonably safe or hard to guess w/o being too hard for me to remember
> > , I welcome such suggestions.

You could try using a mixture of non-standard characters, ie
not just all alphabetic chars, such as:

A..Z uppercase
0..9 digits

and any other characters the password setting program will
accept, such as:

!"£$%^&*()_+{}[]~<>?/|\

That should foil any dictionary hacking attempts.

I find using an alpha-char mixture quite secure.

It would also help if the default length for the password
setting program could be made a bit longer, say 12 chars at
least. Chat to the admin guys and see if this can be made
possible.

I keep all my usernames and passwords on a floppy disk, and
store that in a secure place, as I would NEVER be able to
remember them all!

HTH - Keith Roberts