Re[2]: [suse-security] data backup; my security risks.
  • From: Peter Romianowski <antarapero@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:49:39 +0100
Hi,

just my 2 cents:

If money is an issue why not backup on a RAID system only? This can be a
quite cheap SATA-NAS (just bought one with 1.2 TB netto for about 5,000 euros).
With RAID-5 and a couple of spare-disks I guess you are save enough, especially
compared to single HDs. ;)

Of course it is best to do additional tape backups - but that is quite
expensive for these amounts of data and I doubt that you need this
extra savety.

Regards
Peter

> Philippe Vogel wrote:
>> piet schrieb:
>>
>>> dear group,
>>> Can you give me some insight on how to store data (photos) savely and
>>> what kind of procedure I can follow best.
>>> We produce about 200Gig raw images a year.
>>> the workflow now is:
>>> work on a XP-box and copy the raw's and the jpeg's to a SuSE-box with
>>> winscp as a backup on removable harddisks. (I stopped making cd-s as
>>> we produce to much data, storing raw's and jpeg's)
>>>
>>> Will the removable disks last (ide western-digital)? now and again
>>> they're used on the system.
>>>
>>> We were used to shoot on slide film, now our entire workflow has
>>> changed and it troubles me to meet the time when images can't be
>>> retreived.
>>> regards,