Re: Re[2]: [suse-security] data backup; my security risks.
  • From: george <gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:38:05 -0500
On 11/24/04 8:09 PM, "Kurt Seifried" <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Personally I have two file servers at home
> (I work from home) on seperate UPS's. I also have the critical data on a
> remote server and I burn DVD's/CD's which I place in my safety deposit box.
> If my house burns down, or the server colo burns down I'm not utterly
> f**ked.

Kurt,
You could also get DSL or Cable on, say your parents, inlaw's, brothers,
sister's house and have your servers Rsync to a server at that location.
That gives them fast internet access, maybe split the cost(?) and you have
another off site system...

_______________________________________
D-Link wireless with 4 port wired... Gave them wireless and wired... Just
put the server and router somewhere no kids will touch it...
I have seen people screw a cheap 1u box to the (finished) basement ceiling.
This is what he did:

UPS - $50
Router - $10
1u box - $200
Mo-board - $150(?)
250 gig - $120
512 Ram - $100(?)
DSL $360
_______
$990/first year - good night sleep

Personally, I would have gone with a used box...

--
Thanks,
George

Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I
repeat myself.
Mark Twain