Re: [suse-security] E-mail account disabling warning. -- not from SuSE
  • From: GarUlbricht7@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:01:41 -0500
george on Wed, 3 Mar 2004 7:01:49 PM EST wrote:

>On 3/3/04 6:56 PM, "george" <gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> What is it???
>>
>> Is it from suse or fake?
>>
>> I've received a few of these odd ball things.
>
> Never mind-
>
> I should have continued reading the others first before posting.
>
> Sorry-

Hi George,

I accept your apology ;)

"Yes, Virginia, it is a Fake."

However, Did you notice what you snipped off
from your first past and your second post, namely:

#> --
#> Check the headers for your unsubscription address
#> For additional commands, e-mail: suse-security-help@xxxxxxxx
#>
#> *** Security-related bug reports go to security@xxxxxxx, not here ***
#>
( ****+ __"stars"__ added for emphasis****** )

You caught the fact that someone is "spoofing" the list,
and probably worse...

In fact, before they sent this, they probably sent "Jessica"
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-security/2004-Mar/0009.html

and:

"Tammy"
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-security/2004-Mar/0007.html

because I don't think "krahmer@xxxxxxx' would have wasted
band width on quote no matter how nice it is.

(Or maybe they had pretty pictures included, whatever)

If it was a true message from SuSE they would have
signed it with PGP similar to way that Thomas Biege did:
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-security/2004-Feb/0272.html

But if I really wondered, I would have sent it direct to
SuSE Security for as "you quoted in:
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-security/2004-Mar/0048.html

#> Security-related bug reports go to security@xxxxxxx, not here

Gar

--

"The quickest way to get information on the web is not to ask a
question, but to post the wrong information." - Aahz' Law restated

  • No further messages