Re: [suse-security] signing mails
  • From: suse@xxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:50:56 -0500
Quoting Stefan Gofferje <suse-security@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On 3/5/2004 5:05 PM, Robert Schiele wrote:
>
> > Well, in fact the _most_ annoying thing are not the massmailings itself,
> but
> > the repeated discussion that starts _everytime_ when _one_ such thing
> touches
> > the list. Sometimes I feel like on Groundhog Day...
>
> FULL ACK!!!
> And in addition to that, I would state that those discussion cause more
> than quadruple the traffic the worms do.

Perhaps that is because nothing is ever done. Virus/Spam gets post, people
whine, nothing happens, people stop. Rinse/Repeat.

As far as I am aware, this is a security list. Security of the list would, I
believe, be covered as a valid discussion. I don't care much about the
vagaries of SuSE's iptables wrapper, but it is discussed ceaselessly on the
list. I recognize that as valid. Why is our own discussion any less valid? I
am, at least, talking about something constructive. Whining about other
people's posts is hypocritical at the very least.

I rather like the idea of simply requiring a specific string somewhere in the
message to prevent spam. Would it be such a burden to end a subject line with
"#"? Does anyone know if there is a technical problem in checking for such a
subject before sending out to the list?