Re: [suse-security] Suse Linux Server elaboratation
  • From: "Ken Schneider" <suseseclist@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:28:11 -0500

> To put things breafly i am all but lost in the depths of linux.
> I am currently running samba on the server, it is lacated on an
> isolated network with test computers so that i don't mess up my good
> computers.
> I will be running with a 56k :( internet connection (after resolving my
> modem problems) and i am hoping to achive dial on demand over the
> network an well as having a logon server. i am still new to linux but
> am learning fast. I just took a look at the manual and i will probably
> be attempting to set up squid now that i know what it is.
> The network is running with work groups, not a domain (yet), all
> computers have a gatway of 192.168.1.255 netmask of 255.255.255.0 and
> all ip addresses begin with 192.168.1.___. I have good experience
> configuring windows clients but nothing on the server side.
> I hope this new info helps.

One item I see that will be a problem is the address you show for the
gateway, 192.168.1.255/255.255.255.0. Since this is the broadcast address
for the subnet your are using this will not work. 192.168.1.1 -
192.168.1.254 are the only usable addresses for this subnet/netmask combo.
I think you should change that first to eliminate future network problems.

Get the networking between the PC's working first and then start on
getting your internet access working, samba and then squid so that you have
a better understanding on how all the components work together.

Ken Schneider
Also, go one step at a time and document what you do for future reference.