Re: [suse-security] /bin/login file dissapeared
  • From: Carlos Manuel Duclos Vergara <carlos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:38:07 -0300 (CLST)

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Kheli wrote:

> Dear List,

Hi,

> Recently i can't telnet to my linux box. A warning appears. It said that
> it cannot find /bin/login file. I cannot login through console either. I
> just can ssh to my box.

by using telnet you are committing suicide, you probably have been cracked

> My Linux box is running Red Hat 7.2 Kernel 2.4.19. I use the box as squid
> proxy server and Apache web server.

funny, this is a suse security list :-)
anyway, your rh version is _very_ old, there must be a lot of exploits
available, i recommend to update your server to something more recently,
like suse 9.0

> What should i do ?

backup only your data, and then reinstall everything from scratch. but
this time use something new, like suse 9.0 and apply all the available
patches. And for christ sake, _NEVER_ use telnet again

bye