Re: [suse-security] ssh: Changing Host Keys
  • From: Bob Vickers <bobv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:50:15 +0000 (GMT)
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Lucky Leavell wrote:

> OS: SuSE 9.0 using SuSEfirewall2
>
> This was a Red Hat 8 box which we blew away when doing a FTP install of
> SuSE 9 (neat!). Unfortunately, we had used this box to ssh into and used
> the same IP address for the SuSE install. After a bit of tweaking, I got
> ssh to connect but now it complains about the host key change:

Probably the solution is to recreate the directory /etc/ssh from the
backups of the Red Hat system (I'm assuming RedHat stores its ssh config
in the same place) and restyart sshd. This is what I would do if upgrading
a SuSE box by doing a fresh install.

This directory contains the relevant keys, so your clients should stop
complaining.

Bob

Bob Vickers R.Vickers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dept of Computer Science, Royal Holloway, University of London
WWW: http://www.cs.rhul.ac.uk/home/bobv
Phone: +44 1784 443691