RE: [suse-security] Bugs on Kernel 2.4
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:07:09 +0100 (MET)

> Hi Edwin,
>
> This is my take and not offical. However,
> a posting at Slashdot indicates that both SuSE and Redhat
> are working on it.
> http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/12/01/2133249.shtml?tid=106&tid=185&tid=90
> The "newest kernels" apparently have already
> solved the problem, so I expect that there will soon be a
> SuSE patch.

Exactly. The SUSE LINUX 9.0 kernel that is offered as "optional" in YOU
fixes the problem. All other SUSE Linux releases will see update packages
soon. Olaf Kirch is currently handling it.

The kernel is a very critical component of the system. As such, it needs
extensive testing - otherwise, we are confronted with some hundred
thousand to millions of systems that can't boot any more. Please allow us
to use some time for this testing effort.

An easy workaround against the brk() issue: Set the address space limit to
another value than nothing, even a very high value.

Add the line

ulimit -v 2147483647

as the second lines of /etc/init.d/rc and /etc/profile, execute the
command itself in your shell and then restart all daemons that allow
logins (xdm, sshd, inetd/xinetd, ...). Alternatively, simply reboot after
adding the lines. (Courtesy of Solar Designer)

> Friendly greetings.
> Gar

Thanks for summarizing.

Roman.