Secure Backup
  • From: "Mario Ohnewald" <mario.Ohnewald@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:31:53 +0100 (MET)
Hello!
I have two boxes and want to save a backup of each others on it.
So far i have created a ssh key for both machines so i can make a ssh rsync
to each other.
But the terrible sideeffect is that IF one of those boxed get compromized
the cracker will be root on both of them!!!

My Backup script:
#--- START
#!/bin/sh
speed=500
verzeichnisse="etc home root boot usr/local/bin/"

for verzeichniss in $verzeichnisse
do
find /$verzeichniss -size +10200k | rsync -avvz --exclude-from=-
--delete -e "ssh" /$verzeichniss bortal.de:/backup/sts/
done
#--- END

I need to save it on each other because both have a 100MBit Internet
connection which makes a restoring backup easy! So a tape Backup is not really
possible. :/

Any ideas/hints?

Cheers, Mario