Re: [suse-security] Secure Backup
  • From: Dirk Schreiner <dirk.schreiner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:19:32 +0100
Hi,

so, why do you want to save the backup on the other
Side with root-rights ?
Do you _really_ need this for User Data?

Check this out first.

Maybe it is better Using some Kind of tar to save Data on the
other Side.

You could use some Kind of chroot, or userspace Linux as well.

SuDO might help you too.

I recomend the way, logging in unprivileged on the other Side,
and save the Backup in a gzipped tar-File.

Greetings
Dirk

Mario Ohnewald schrieb:

Hello!
I have two boxes and want to save a backup of each others on it.
So far i have created a ssh key for both machines so i can make a ssh rsync
to each other.
But the terrible sideeffect is that IF one of those boxed get compromized
the cracker will be root on both of them!!!

My Backup script:
#--- START
#!/bin/sh
speed=500
verzeichnisse="etc home root boot usr/local/bin/"

for verzeichniss in $verzeichnisse
do
find /$verzeichniss -size +10200k | rsync -avvz --exclude-from=-
--delete -e "ssh" /$verzeichniss bortal.de:/backup/sts/
done
#--- END

I need to save it on each other because both have a 100MBit Internet
connection which makes a restoring backup easy! So a tape Backup is not really
possible. :/

Any ideas/hints?

Cheers, Mario