Can't boot after kernel update. Newbie needs help.
  • From: <jrx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 10:24:23 +0100
Hi,
-----
SUsE 8.2 Pro, Grub bootloader,
-----
I did a mistake after installing yesterday's kernel update and need help. I
was confused about the warning message "please execute /sbin/lilo after
installing the update kernel and prior to rebooting". I let yast handle the
update (as I always do) and (I think) everything was OK after the update.

My mistake: After the update I found som *.old files, and did rm *.old
(stupid me) on all of them.

hd-boot: "Kernel requires old insmod, but couldn't run insmod.old: No such
file or directory. Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on on 21:02"

With CD-boot I can reach runlevel 5 and login in textmode, but with no
network connections.

rpm -q k_deflt: "k_deflt is not installed"
uname -r: "2.4.20-4GB"

What to do?

/Jari, Stockholm
Newbie in progress