Re: [suse-security] Kernel Update general question
  • From: Olaf Kirch <okir@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:24:48 +0100
Hi,

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:00:37AM +0100, Hatto von Hatzfeld wrote:
> Since I had some modules compiled manually, I have to recompile them
> with the new kernel header files. So I tried to get the preconfigured
> SuSE sources:
>
> I fetched and installed kernel-source-2.4.18.SuSE-281.i386.rpm
> I fetched and installed k_deflt-2.4.21-151.src.rpm

You should always use the kernel-source RPM matching _exactly_ your
binary k_xxx package. In this case, not even the kernel version matches.
This makes it somewhat unlikely that your self-compiled kernel modules
will ever run with your binary kernel.

> Then I looked into /usr/src - no directory linux*!

Are you sure used the kernel-source _binary_ RPM?

All you need is kernel-source-2.4.21-151.i586.rpm, and install that.
This will put a completely patched kernel into /usr/src/linux-*,
and all you really need to do is call "make cloneconfig".

If you use _source_ RPMs, you just get the pieces and need to
put them together yourself. It's not pretty, and it's not really
the recommended way of building your kernel (unless you want to
learn something about our kernel patch and build management process).

> The file README.SuSE in this directory SOURCES presupposes that after
> installing kernel-source.$ARCH.rpm everything should be in
> /usr/src/linux, which in my case is not true.

It really appears as if you used kernel-source.src.rpm.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | Stop wasting entropy - start using predictable
okir@xxxxxxx | tempfile names today!