Re: [suse-security] Some services fail when rebooting after kernel update
  • From: Sven Wahl <svenwahl@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:43:24 +0100

Hello Michel

On Monday 08 December 2003 14:12, Michel Messerschmidt wrote:

> Looks like you're trying to use a plain kernel sound module as
> ALSA module. They're not compatible, even if the module names are
> similar. ALSA sound modules were not integrated in the kernel
> package on Suse 8.0 but needs to be updated separately. I don't
> remember the package name for ALSA kernel modules since I stopped
> using ALSA after my first kernel update :-)

I can not verify this. The original rpm of the default kernel that
shipped with the 8.0 installation CDs (k_deflt-2.4.18-58.i386.rpm)
_does_ contain the soundcard module "snd-intel8x0.o" and installs
it into the directory

/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/sound/pci

However, the kernel rpm released last week
(k_deflt-2.4.18-281.i386.rpm) doesn't contain this module anymore.
Instead, I found the file "snd-card-intel8x0.o" in the directory

/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/misc

which has not been there in release 58. I have no idea if these two
files have something to do with each other. I just want to get my
soundcard working again :-)

< Previous Next >