Re: [suse-security] kupdated in uninterrupatable sleep after kernel update
  • From: Erik Hensema <erik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 01:50:06 +0100
On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:39:35AM +0100, Philippe Vogel wrote:
> > Last saterday we had to reset the machine. Remote login over ssh was not
> > possible. The load was steadily climbing to over 40, according to a web
> > interface: http://europa.hostingxs.nl/sysinfo/
>
> > All filesystems are reiser. Unfortunately the machine wasn't installed as
>
> Reiser is fast and looses it's data fast as well, if there are any
> disc-problems - Better use ext3!

We're using mirroring raid. No problems according to the controller
software. Never had any problems with reiser either, and we're using it on
all servers.

> This is a mailserver, isn't it? If so reliability goes before speed -> no
> reiser!
>
> > backup server / dns server, and it wasn't prepared for use by customers.
> > be able to use quota I was forced to create two filesystems (document root
> > and mail spool) on loopback filesystem.
>
> Why don't you use postfix, there is a kind of "quota-option" within
> mailbox-settings /etc/postfix/main.cf e.g.:

That would not solve any kernel problems, now would it? ;-)

[...]

> activate your quotas after a reboot.
> Reiser doesn't support quotas (as I know) and that's why I don't use it
> either.

Reiser does support quota.

> Next thing is: /var/spool/mail -> only 1 GB, is that enough if you get more
> accounts (better use usrquota or the postfix option above, sendmail should
> have such a feature as well)?

It's a temporary sollution, we've going to move all sites off this server
as soon as we have upgraded an old server to suse 8.1.

[...]

> Maybe you read here:
>
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0202.2/0429.html
>
> http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-mm/2001-11/msg00050.html
>
> There were several users having problems with kupdated.
> This has something to do with the kerneldriver for your hd-controller.
> There were sometimes kernelproblems with RAID drivers, like SuSE 8.2 with
> Promise, or was it 8.1?

We've had severe problems with promise under redhat 7.3. Never again, it's
rubbish.

Anyway, thanks for your input, especially the mailinglist references.

--
Erik Hensema (erik@xxxxxxxxxxx)

< Previous Next >