SuSE 9.0/Security updates
  • From: Markus Gaugusch <markus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:27:09 +0100 (CET)
I have a little question about SuSE 9.0/RPMv4. As an example, I'll assume
that the user has updated his ssh daemon with a new version (security
update).
In previous versions, the old sshd was renamed by the RPM system and the
new version was put in its place. The old version was deleted afterwards.
If the application was still running, the deleted file was still shown by
lsof and marked as (deleted). From that, I could tell whether an old
version was still running or not.
With SuSE 9.0 this has changed and I can't see the deleted files anymore
(at least not with lsof). Therefore I wonder, how I can find out if an old
(vulnerable!) version is still running or not. I really don't want to
reboot the whole machine for each update or think about the services that
may need to be restarted (I have computers to do the thinking for me - at
least in this case!).
I don't think that the RPM's have a postinstall script or something
similar to restart the services?

Markus

--
Markus Gaugusch \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign