Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-security (394 mails)

< Previous Next >
FYI: Updated SuSE 8.1 with brk() fix - Wireless stopped working...
  • From: Roger Larsson <roger.larsson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 23:17:18 +0100
  • Message-id: <200312092317.18710.roger.larsson@xxxxxxxxxx>

After I updated SuSE 8.1 with the patch I lost my internet connection
(802.11b) - that is what I call a security fix! :-)

I did a lot of investigations on this - I suspected that my old setting
was not completely correct, so it took some time...

One really interesting thing is that the interface can receive ping
but not send [ipconfig reports TX errors] (I have no firewall on
this box).

What I found out was that I got updated from a 2.4.19 - it got updated
and I think it was not 2.4.19...

But since I got SuSE 9.0 in the mail yesterday I tried with it instead,
it is 2.4.21 based, still got the same problem...

Downgraded the kernel to 8.1 (2.4.19) got it to work again by manually
configuring the device.

Other info:
Earlier attempts did not work with 2.4.22-mh1 since I was on my own
I gave up.

I got GigaFast 720-AEX (Prism II using orinoco drivers at both ends,
the peer is not updated - I am using ad-hoc mode with set_parm3)
vers_1 5.0, "INTERSIL", "HFA384x/IEEE", "Version 01.02", ""
manfid 0x0156, 0x0002

My suspicion is that the update brought some WLAN updates with it that
destroys the send part.


Roger Larsson

< Previous Next >
This Thread
  • No further messages