Re: wlan on 8.1 after kernel patch
  • From: Roger Larsson <roger.larsson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:41:10 +0100
On Thursday 11 December 2003 00.18, bill s wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> I am emailing you off the list as I am not subscribed
> to the mailing list and I hope you dont mind!
>
> I have the same problem as you did. My wireless
> stopped working after the latest kernel path.

SuSE people I guess you have to investigate this...

> I am running Suse 8.1 Professional The wireless
> adapter I have is a PCI card (with Orinoco_pci
> driver).

I had orinoco_cs (but the orinoco part is common for us)

> I had it configured as "eth0" and it was
> working just fine
> until I installed the latest kernel patch (Kernel
> "brk" vulnerability).
> I rebooted the system after the patch installation and
> the wireless stopped working. The system now seems to
> use "wlan0". I can't seem to configure the wireless
> card using YAST.
> The error message I get when I run "rcnetwork start
> wlan0" is something like "No configuration found for
> wlan0".
> I am wondering what could have gone wrong!
> How can I make the wireless (using YAST) work again?
> How did you fix the problem?

Have not succeeded yet - back to 2.4.19 on a SuSE 9.0
system...

> Could you send me the
> specific steps you took and scripts the you had to
> write and use?

The setup configuration has changed (idea is better but
it is broken for 8.1)
Use yast to reconfigure your network card.
It will create the needed files in /etc/sysconfig/network
But - yast assumes the interface to be named eth-something...
but when used it will try to find wlan0 - confusing...

So I created a link in /etc/sysconfig/network from
ifcfg-wlan-* to ifcfg-eth-* (you will find out what exact names to use)

It will be very interesting to hear if this makes it work for you.

BTW
What does "uname -r" return?

You can always try to configure everything manually first.
As root
iwconfig wlan0 ssid ...
iwconfig wlan0 mode ...
iwconfig wlan0 nick ...
iwconfig wlan0 channel ... (or freq)
iwconfig wlan0 enc ...
iwconfig wlan0 rate ...
- - -
(and I need)
iwpriv wlan0 set_port3 1

Now the card config should be ok, on to ip

ifconfig wlan0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx up
route add default gw ggg.ggg.ggg.ggg

When I have done this ping still wont work, but
when pinging from another computer I can see that
ifconfig wlan0 receives packages but gets error on
transmit.

I have checked out the source for 8.1 and 9.0
(8.1 with patch is not interesting for me now)
There are LOTS of changes in orinoco.c when going
from 2.4.20 to 2.4.21
I will try to compile the 2.4.19 version in 2.4.21 - later...

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
SkellefteƄ